Home hosts are given the option to choose the visitor they would like to welcome into their home: a student, teacher, business person, etc., as well as indicate the gender preference. Some activities you may want to share include cultural and historical places of interest, sports and recreational venues, or places of worship. Day trips to Dallas, Austin and San Antonio might also be part of the itinerary. Hosts are given the opportunity to participate in as little or as many of these activities as they wish.
A home hosting experience provides visitors a glimpse of our way of life. They share our food, participate in our activities and get to know Americans.
Host Families Needed in June and July
1) June 9-25 – Spanish Immersion Camp – Fort Worth Sister Cities is partnering with FWISD on the 4th annual Spanish Immersion Camp for elementary school students. Ten university students from Tec de Monterrey will serve as facilitators and assist the language instructors with this program. The students will work in the mornings on weekdays, and some cultural activities will be planned for them in the afternoons. Weekends are free and to be spent with the host families.
2) July 7-15 – Jr. International Leadership Academy – University students and their professor from Toluca, Mexico will participate in the Jr. ILA program. Students from Toluca, Mexico will be the facilitators for middle school youth from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. during the week with classes held at one of our local FWISD schools.
3) July 20-24 (only 4 nights!) – International Leadership Academy hosting weekend (only 4 nights!). Return the students to TCU on Monday morning, July 24. High school students from our sister cities and teachers all speak English and want to experience Texas hospitality. We are expecting up to 100 youth!
- A host family orientation will be scheduled in late June with a location to be decided to ensure an enriched and successful hosting experience. You will receive the photo and profile of your guests at this meeting.
- Host families do not need to have teenage children to host since international students will be in class with high school students during the day.
- Families with no children in the home are asked to host two students of the same gender from the same country.
- Host families DO NOT have to be Fort Worth Sister Cities members, so if you have friends who can help, please let us know or have them contact our office for information.
Download the Volunteer Application
Contact Fort Worth Sister Cities if you are available to host or need additional information:
Beth Weibel, Sr. Program Manager, email or call 817-632-7105.
‘What suggestions or tips do you have for future host families?’
“Be prepared to be busy! And, be prepared for attachment to these students. My heart was ripped out to see them go. We cried a lot. I didn’t expect 2 weeks to be enough time to grow so attached.” ~ Andrea B.