The International Leadership Academy (ILA) for high school students and Jr. ILA for middle school students are dynamic summer leadership programs bringing Fort Worth students together with students from our sister cities in China, Germany, Hungary, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Indonesia, and Mexico.
Offered each summer since 1989, ILA is a two-week international issues forum. Students are housed in dorms where most class activities are conducted. More than 100 students participate annually.
The 2017 theme, the Art of Diplomacy, will encourage students to explore and focus on critical and current issues and their global influence as they gain essential leadership and communication skills.
ILA will be held July 15 – 30, 2017. Click here to download an application.
Application deadline is extended to February 23 at 4:00 p.m..
Jr. International Leadership Academy
Initiated in 2006, Jr .ILA includes 6th – 8th grade students. This program focuses on cultural understanding taught by international college students from Mexico, Germany, Italy, and Swaziland who have participated in previous ILA programs. Jr. ILA will be held at a FWISD school July 10 – 14, 2017.
Benefits of Attending
- Enhance global leadership, communications, teamwork and problem solving skills
- Learn about cultures, traditions and citizen diplomacy
- Strengthen your global perspective and appreciation for other cultures
- Enhance your college and career opportunities
- Develop lifelong friendships with students from eight countries without leaving Fort Worth
This program would not be possible without the support of host families, Fort Worth Ambassadors and volunteers. If you are inspired by bright, motivated students with a keen interest in developing relationships and changing outlooks, this is the opportunity for you.
Host families have the unique opportunity to get to know students on a personal level over a period of several days through sharing meals, playing games and extending Fort Worth hospitality to these students in their home.
Host Families Needed:
1) July 7-15 – Jr. International Leadership Academy – University students and their professor from Toluca, Mexico will participate in the Jr. ILA program. Students from Toluca, Mexico will be the facilitators for middle school youth from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. during the week with classes held at one of our local FWISD schools.
2) July 20-24 (only 4 nights!) – International Leadership Academy hosting weekend (only 4 nights!). Return the students to TCU on Monday morning, July 24. High school students from our sister cities and teachers all speak English and want to experience Texas hospitality. We are expecting up to 100 youth!
- A host family orientation will be scheduled in late June with a location to be decided to ensure an enriched and successful hosting experience. You will receive the photo and profile of your guests at this meeting.
- Host families do not need to have teenage children to host since international students will be in class with high school students during the day.
- Families with no children in the home are asked to host two students of the same gender from the same country.
- Host families DO NOT have to be Fort Worth Sister Cities members, so if you have friends who can help, please let us know or have them contact our office for information.
Download the Volunteer Application
Contact Beth Weibel, Sr. Program Manager by email or call 817-632-7105 if you are able to host and would like more information.