As our very first sister city, Reggio Emilia, Italy, holds a special place in our hearts. Originally a Roman fortress situated in the Apennine foothills of Northern Italy, this historic city is home to spectacular cathedrals and palazzos (palaces) dating back to the 12th century, the Municipal Theater and the famous Parmigiano Reggiano cheese factory.
EXPERIENCE REGGIO EMILIA
Our relationship with this amazing city offers equally amazing opportunities for Fort Worth’s citizen diplomats. In addition to exchanges featuring the daily life and culture of Italy, Italian cooking and language classes and visits to the nearby city of Florence, the program is recognized for developing unique first-ever exchanges, including:
- Tricolore Youth Sports Games, a youth-based version of the Olympics for which Fort Worth is the sole United States participant
- A Handicap Life Skills Symposium
- International Wheelchair Basketball Tournaments
- Smithsonian’s U.S. Tour of Reggio Emilia’s education model
- Cutting and quarter horse training, breeding and competition
- Stage, craft and performance arts training programs
- Culinary, hotel, and professional internships
- Fashion and artisan industry programs
While on exchange in Fort Worth, culinary students from Reggio Emilia learned to cook like Texans alongside students from Trimble Tech and South Hills High School.